MISSION STATEMENT | AAUW advances equity for women and girls through advocacy, education, and research.
VISION STATEMENT | AAUW will be a powerful advocate and visible leader in equity and education through research, philanthropy, and measurable change in critical areas impacting the lives of women and girls.
DIVERSITY STATEMENT | In principle and in practice, AAUW values and seeks a diverse membership. There shall be no barriers to full participation in this organization on the basis of gender, race, creed, age, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or class.
AAUW has been named a 4-Star Charity three years in a row by Charity Navigator–America’s largest and most used rating agency. Only 10% of charities evaluated are awarded this rating. This means AAUW efficiently applies our generous donations to efforts that achieve our mission—advancing equity for women and girls.
TODAY, THE GENDER GAP IS FAR TOO WIDE
- None of the CEOs at the top 15 media corporations are women.
- Only 3 percent of CEOs in Fortune 500 companies are women.
- Only 15 percent of board members among Fortune 500 companies are women.
- Only 18 percent of law partners are women, even though we make up 48 percent of law school graduates.
- Only 21 percent of nonprofits with budgets of $25 million or more have female CEOs.
- Only 29 percent of board members on college and university boards are women.
- For the first time since the 1970s, the number of women in Congress is declining.
- And women still make on average only 77 percent of what men earn in similar jobs with similar experience, and the wage gap widens as women move up the management ladder!
“Women are the primary bread winners in more than 600,000 Pennsylvania households. But men continue to earn more than their female counterparts for the same job.” The gender pay gap in Pennsylvania is 18.6%. In New Jersey, it is 20.6% and in West Virginia, 27.4%. Sen. Bob Casey finds what is “particularly disturbing” is that a woman with a bachelor’s degree has a lifetime earning gap of more than $500,000.