AAUW Beaver Valley Garden Interest Group – 2018 Schedule
1. MAY 9TH – FELLOWS RIVERSIDE GARDENS, 123 McKinley Avenue, Youngstown, OH 44509
Over 40,000 bulbs planted for spring viewing
On site amenities: Kravitz Garden Café, Garden Gift Shop, Weller Gallery, Observation Deck
Cost: No Admission Fee
Departure Time and Transportation Arrangements: Will depart from Chippewa Plaza (near Burger King) at 10:30 AM, volunteer drivers will be needed.
2. June 15th– Renziehousen Park, 2100 Eden Park Blvd., McKeesport, PA 15132 (Proposed in combination with Femmes)
Largest rose garden west of Harrisburg, PA and was voted one of the top ten public rose gardens in the United States. The McKeesport Garden Club maintains between 2,500 – 3,000 roses, perennials beds, a butterfly garden and water pond. Members of the McKeesport Garden Club will facilitate a tour of the grounds and prepare a lunch for our group that will be served at their clubhouse which is located within the gardens. A gift shop is also located onsite.
Cost: $15 per person (note – cash only with reservations needed 1 week prior to excursion. Lunch capacity set at 40 attendees.
Departure Time and Transportation Arrangements: Will depart from Chippewa Plaza or Cranberry Twp Plaza using PA Turnpike to Monroeville exit. Departure time is yet to be determined. Tour to begin at 10:30AM.
3. July 15th – Picnic at Zuberbuhler Farm, 672 Achortown Road, Beaver Falls, PA 15010
Hosted by Dick and Rae Nancy Zuberbuhler
Spouses, friends, and significant others welcomed.
Bring covered dish and wine/beer of your choice. Soft drinks will be provided.
Appetizers served 2:30pm with dinner to follow.
4. July 25th – Hybridizing Gladiolas, home of Pinky Fredericks, 750 Allendale Road, New Brighton, PA 15066 (located past Sylvania Hills, Rte. 68)
Excursion will be hosted by Jean Macaluso who will provide refreshments.
Cost: No Admission Fee
Arrival Time: 11AM
5. August 29th – Kimberly Thonie Farm, Brighton Twp.
Program details are yet to be determined.
6. September 26th – Chatham University Eden Hall Campus, 6035 Ridge Road, Gibsonia, PA 1504
First academic community in the world built from the ground up for the study of sustainable living, learning, and development. The University is committed to advancing the legacy of Rachel Carson, class of 1929.
Group Tour Cost: $125 (To be divided by attendee.)
Additional cost of $10 for lunch that will be held in campus dining hall.
Departure Time and Transportation Arrangements: Will depart from Chippewa Plaza (near Burger King) at 8:45 AM. Volunteer drivers will be needed. Note – tour time to begin at 10AM for those wishing to make alternate driving arrangements.
7. October 24th – Orchid Care Program presented by Demetria Marsh, Orchid Society of Western PA Program Chair and Phipps Volunteer
To be hosted at home of Frances Pickard, 1530 River Road, Beaver
Arrival Time: 12:30PM with a light lunch to be served followed by the program.
Cost: $75 (Speaker cost to be divided by attendees.)
The Garden Group has been meeting since the early nineties and currently has 20 members.
Meetings are normally on the 4th Wednesday of the month at 7:30 pm unless otherwise noted. No meetings are scheduled for November, December, and January. All members are invited to join this active group. You do not need to have gardening skills.